1. A letter from the Sovereign

I enjoy writing about sex. Sometimes just to enhance a story with a single scene and sometimes just because I want to write pages worth of pointless smut. An interest like this comes with a few issues. If you want to avoid playing with underage people, you have to go to 18+ adult sites. But on many sex-focused adult sites, it's ONLY about the sex and not about the stories you want to tell. Sometimes they make you uncomfortable and feel like all they want is hot cyber lovin'. They hit on you and make inappropriate sexual comments. You have to deal with players who blur the line between writer and character without respecting personal space.

I just want to play and giggle about butts without feeling uncomfortable!

I know there are a lot of writers out there just like me. Amor was created for us!

So if you LOVE:
    • Playing. Just plain old having fun playing.

• Creating worlds, stories, plots and more.

• Living in the shoes of your characters.

• Having the freedom to write about anything you want to write.

• Sex scenes, be it in brief encounters or pages and pages of smut.

• Making real friendships and connections with people.

But you HATE:
    • Getting shamed for your sexy or kinky interests.

• Players who blur the line between writer and character by treating partners like lovers or property.

• Feeling uncomfortable because your partner keeps making sexual passes at YOU the writer without consent.

• Being asked personal questions about the real you, that are unnecessary to your ability to roleplay.

• Being judged by your word count, amount of paragraphs, and writing style.

Amor wants to be that place for you. Help us create a safe adult roleplay community so we can all enjoy butts.

P.S. Are you a teenager considering lying about your age to get in? Don't. Please don't. Some of us are old enough to be your Mom or Dad. This is SUPER GROSS for us. Not to mention could get us in serious trouble. You ARE mature enough to write about sex, we know this. But WE need to feel safe too. Take yourself to Iwaku, where you CAN write. Come back to us when you're old enough, we'll still be here. Promise! Consider our feelings and respect that. Because if we catch you lying, our trust is broken and you will be banned for life. Even if we loved you.

GUIDE WRITING Introduction to Sexy Roleplay - Using Sex as a Plot Device

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by Divinatas, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Smut! Erotica! Sexy Sex! These are things many of us here on Amor LOVE in our roleplays. The big problem, though, is that sex has a stigma. If you mention to someone that you like sex in your roleplays, many people assume you're just writing sex activities over and over. But it can be so much MORE than gratuitous genitals and lots of text moaning. This quick guide is to help you understand how to use sex as a plot device to develop your stories and your characters.

Hold the phone. All I see is a bunch of sex, sex, sex and masturbation fuel. What is the different between Sex as a Plot Device and Cyber Sexing?

Plot. Character Development. Storytelling. You don't see those things in a cybersex thread. You'll see two people posting nothing but sex actions back and forth in character. Bam done. Gratuitous, shallow sex play. It's like text-sex on a cell phone. All it is, is self gratifying 'safe' sexual encounter for people. Is there something wrong with this? No way! But it isn't a true roleplay, and it severely lacks content of interest!

Sex in a story is meant to be used to build the plot or a relationship. You have a setting. Characters with history and personality. There is a problem, there is a goal, there is resolution. The sex plays a huge part in this story, being a catalyst of change. Either creating problems or solving problems for the characters involved. Of course, this doesn't mean a erotic roleplayer isn't also looking for self-gratification while creating this story. ;) But it's not their intention to tap that ass and then drop the roleplay as soon as the sex is over. They want to do something MORE.

Okay, I get it. Sex themed roleplay isn't just cybering! But how do you use SEX as a story element?

An example: The incredibly popular "Sex Slave & Master" setup. This reeks with cybersex stigma, but a clever pair of roleplayers can give it life and plot. It can be a story about rape and abuse, be an inspiring tale of escape or a tragic end. This could be a forbidden romance, challenging the social class between slave and master.

Another popular example: "Vampire Guy & Human Chick". This could be a story about seduction and resistance, the vampire charming his way to what he wants. A romance that borders on obsession, guy or girl being so infatuated with this dark and dangerous creature that they throw sense out the window. A psychological thriller with erotic torment, dark and tragic doom for the weak. A Romeo-Juliet tale of love, going against rules and expectations in favor of love.

No matter the choice of theme or atmosphere, the sex is what changes something for these characters. It doesn't just have to be an endless barrage of sex scenes in a dozen different positions. You can have character development, plot development. A wonderful and engaging story that gives all of that sex some real meaning. Whether it be two characters hooking up at a bar for a one night stand, or the love affair between a married man and his secretary. There is a story to tell beyond all the ways you can bang a person.

I'm curious now! What are some quick tips for making my roleplay more than just gratuitous sexing?

THE SETTING: To know what sort of characters you want to play and what they are going to be doing, you obviously need a basic setting. Pairings like Vampire/Human, Master/Slave, Person/Pony, Exes, Boss/Secretary are really simple starting concepts, to be used to create a setting. More specific details help flesh out premise. A King searching for his bride to be. A Knight's challenge in charming a princess.

THE STORY: Give your setting a plot. Your vampire has been alone for centuries and has now fallen in love with a human who doesn't love him back and is now trying to seduce her. The Master of a Harem is a cruel and terrible person, and the slave is using sex as a way to stay alive until they can escape. Two exboyfriends have met each other again after five years, and are struggling to resist rekindling their relationship. These are stories!

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: To make your roleplay an actual story and not just a dozen sex encounters, your characters need to evolve. Every time you do a sex scene, what did that moment mean to that character? How did it affect/change them, even if just in the tiniest way? You have to express this in the roleplay. The vampire kidnapped the human for sex, and found out it was a mistake and now she hates him. The Master is becoming enchanted with his Slave, not realizing they are coming closer to stabbing him in the back and fleeing. One exboyfriend has realized he really is over the relationship, while the other has fallen in love all over again. Because of the sex, something has altered someone's perception. And every time the sex happens, it is making the problem better/worse.

CONFLICT RESOLUTION: In ANY roleplay, you need a problem and the way to solve it. Above I stated several situations that contain problems for these characters because of the sex that happened. Now, what will be the resolution? The end of your story? The Vampire could find a way to gain forgiveness from the Human, or the human could assume he was evil and kill him! The Master could have fallen in love with his Slave, and the slave discover she loved him to. Or she could have finally escaped a terrible place. Your exboyfriends could be a bitter-sweet tale of coming to terms with a breakup... or it could turn in to a psychotic stalker horror.

• I Like This I Like This x 2
    • I Love This I Love This x 2
  2. I use a simple filter to determine if it's cybersex: /=(?:[^\[|]*?(?:\[\[[^|\]]*(?:\|(?:[^|\]]*))?\]\])?)+(?:\||\}\})/

In all seriousness though, if the writing is in first person, it's cybersex. If the writing is descriptive third person with dialog, it's RP. If the writing is mostly actions and reactions, it's tabletop. If it's all second-person, then you're playing a Text Adventure

• I Like This I Like This x 2
  3. I have some thoughts (and some experiences) from real life smut.

-BDSM can be fun. It can be flavorful, if you know what you're doing. However, just like in real life, it is extremely easy to cross boundaries you didn't know your partner had. Yeah, this is roleplaying. But, just like the hard fast rule of this site (no RPing children), everyone has hard 'no's.

-OOC is a social contract between two or more players, and should occassionably reviewed. This is more important than many new players realize, and I'm definitely not here to lecture anyone.

4. This is really good! I have an urge to make a partner search thread this very instant now, so I'll be off to plot and organise!

5. In my personal and RP experience: nothing gets the blood pumping and the drama flowing like a good old fashioned pregnancy scare.

• AHAHAHA! AHAHAHA! x 1
  6. DOUBLE POST FTW

As the brilliant minds of Pixar once said:

It's OK for your characters to start a conflict on accident, but never as a solution.

"Break any of these rules sooner than saying anything outright barbarous."--Orwell

• I Like This I Like This x 1